Thursday 13 October 2011

41-44

The Illustration course ended on monday. We have to make 20 sheets with specific measurements by monday. I feel ok about this. I think that I am going to end up with a really weird narrative though. This is good. I have also started thinking more about how i'm going to work with my narrative to make an animation, which is the next course I have. Really looking forward to it.

One thing that I have learned this week already, which is quite a massive learning for me is that trying to define yourself is defs a bad thing. Last first year I was always really worried that I wasn't 'Graphics' enough and I was always trying to work in a certain way which I think really hindered my work and made me confused. Coming here and having been able to choose subjects that I am interested in and enjoying what i'm doing, already in the first week, really made me feel like I wasn't a freak or actually should be doing something 'more free' like fine art (which I have being really baffed about for a long time) or any other subject.

In the class one of the gals said that she thought that her work didn't really have a point (which is something that I always feel like and they I loose motivation and stop, or just try to make a point and do something that is either cliche or that i've done before) and the teach said that there is always a point to work. I kind of see this maybe as a subconscious reaction. Anyway from this proj I have learned to try and trust my instinct a bit more and not think consciously about the direction so much and just do. I guess i also need to learn how to maintain a comfortable balance.

I feel like I have secretly known this all along. I think it may have gradually became a bad habit or a teufelskreis (viscous cycle*).

Day 42 we went to 603 where people were doing crazy dancing and they played some old choons. So great for talking german. German is ridiculously difficult to practise as when I try to speak german to people they talk back in english. Mega sad face. So i'm gonna maybe get an extra lesson or a german bud to have intense conversation timez.

Yesterday we went icesk8in. SO good. Highlight.







*I learned this phrase in 6th Form and i try to work it into conversation at every opportunity. Score.

No comments:

Post a Comment